iMovie: A Crash Course in Video Editing
Keen to put together a branded video, testimonial or showreel? Great news for Mac users! iMovie has solved all your editing problems with this free video editing app that’ll make you look like a pro. What about Windows? I know, I know. Windows users are always forgotten. But you have access to similar programs such as Blender and Lightwork. It’s a different interface but the same steps apply. So for anyone who is new to video production, has a good eye and a great concept, these editing tools will get the views. Let my crash course on iMovie be your guide.
Uploading your footage
First thing’s first. Open up iMovie and import your music, photos and videos. Now, are you ready to create?
1. Create New > Movie
2. Import Media Select files
Organising your timeline
This part usually takes the longest but it’s also the fun part! This is where your video starts to take shape.
3. Drag footage in the timeline and arrange clips in order
• Shorten footage by dragging the clips inwards
• Cut footage by right-clicking the section of the clip you want to cut
• Remove sound from clips by right-clicking a clip > Detach Audio > select audio > delete
• Remove clips by clicking on a clip > Delete
Go easy – these can make your video look tacky. Done right? Your video can capture your audience’s attention.
4. Use the editing tools to change speed, colour, and exposure
5. On the left-hand side of the screen, you can drag transitions, text, and sound effects to your clips
Once you’re happy, you can finally save your work and BAM! It’s ready to upload and share.
6. click Share (top right of screen) > File > Choose file destination
It doesn’t matter if you’re shooting from a DSLR or your phone – have good lighting and be in a noise-free environment if you’re speaking. Remember turn fans off, avoid construction or chatter in the background. Now get creative and throw in some detail shots and music. Next time you have a video idea, use iMovie to make it come alive.
Felisha Mendoza Mina is a multidisciplinary creative, teaming up with brands across Australia, North America and Europe. With 6+ years of experience across Graphic Design, Creative Direction, Videography, Photography and Marketing, she takes a highly integrated approach to media and communications that uses a breadth of technical and analytical skills to help industry leaders look better, work smarter, and create with efficiency.